[QGIS-Developer] How are Featured Plugins Chosen?

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 04:13:59 PST 2018

Hi Tom,

> Hi Harrissou
>
> My argument against that is that it encourages plugin authors not to update
> their plugins.

Allow me to disagree. This statement assumes that having a higher number of
downloads is more important for plugin devs than having a more featured or
less buggy plugin. And while having a large user base is for sure
rewarding, i'm pretty sure (and I guess you, too) it's not the objective of
most of the developers. I think the best way to have that "recognition" is
to provide working and stable plugin.
Why would someone update a code if there's no reason? Not all plugins out
there are based on different/upstream libraries: some are just few lines
extending current capabilities of QGIS. As long as it works without bugs
and is still compatible with newer versions of QGIS, why updating?
I don't think that there's a good reason to "hide" them.

As users are probably aware, I release versions often. This
> means that a single version never gets very high in usage numbers. I would
> argue that "release early, release often" is A Good Thing, assuming plugin
> versions are tested and stable.
>
> Following the above-mentioned assumption, one can also argue that the
current system is a "good" reason to push devs regularly publish new
versions, whether heavily tested or not (knowing or expecting that their
user base will update, once again). Btw, for new (version of) plugins it
could be nice to show their changelog in Plugin manager before user
downloads it (another feature request, sorry!).

Maybe a solution will be to show both values (sum and max), but still it
doesn't help to decide whether a plugin is eligible to the "Most popular"
list. Anyway, I think that, like for featured plugins, a fairer solution
needs to be found here too.

Regards,
Harrissou

Thanks