[QGIS-Developer] Keeping OTB algorithm in qgis processing

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 04:27:37 PST 2018

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 5:02 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> On Thu, 01. Feb 2018 at 11:57:28 +0000, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> > Il 01/02/2018 11:51, Alexander Bruy ha scritto:
> > > IMHO, if it is really important for them, they should find a way to
> contact
> > > devs and support development.
>
> > > R provider was removed from core in May 2017 and as far as I can see
> nobody
> > > asked about it in mailing lists. So I suppose it is not important.
>
> > unfortunately users are often silent. but I agree, this is a way of
> > stimulating they reactions.
>
> I guess they'll start complaining once the find that GRASS and SAGA have
> been
> removed from the windows standalone.  Before hardly anyone will notice -
> just
> like nobody noticed that there were more hidden providers, because their
> dependencies were not installed and in turn nobody missed them, when they
> were
> removed again.
>
> The question is who is the driving force behind the provider plugins.  If
> we
> want those algorithms in QGIS, we will probably have to maintain the
> plugins,
> if we don't want them to die.
>
> Otherwise if we don't care and just want to enable others to have QGIS
> intgration, they'll have to adopt the plugins.  That might work better if
> there
> is real interest.  But I think they usally prefer their tools to be used in
> their own environment and don't care that much about whether it works in
> QGIS
> or not.  Is there solid interest of the SAGA or GRASS team to adopt the
> providers?  Otherwise I guess they'll sooner or later will die.
>
> At the very least the packaging in OSGeo4W will have to adapted.  The
> easiest
> way would just to remove the dependencies.  This should also kill the
> current
> problem with the 2GB NSIS limit (GRASS depends on python2, SAGA has
> wxWidgets,
> OTB Qt4).

Well, OTB provider plugin will be able to fetch and install otb binaries.
So users installing plugin is the extra step needed.
1. Install QGIS
2. install otb provider plugin
3. select/download && install otb package

If my proposal to keep otb provider in qgis was allowed, then it will be
two simple steps. But I don't see that happening soon.

Anyways, if the provider is a plugin or not, it is important to have api to
show/hide widgets from algorithm dialog.( see my other mail on parameter
groups)

> The plugins would be downloaded from within QGIS and instruct the user how
> install the rest of the binaries (eg. from OSGeo4W or other sites (like
> OTB)).
>
> There could also be processing provider plugin packages in OSGeo4W that
> have
> the providers and depend on available binaries there.  Although those
> packages
> would need to be available for all or a selection of qgis packages (qgis,
> qgis-rel-dev, qgis-ltr, qgis-ltr-dev and qgis-dev).
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
> +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
> +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
> http://www.norbit.de

   Rashad