[QGIS-Developer] External providers in QGIS

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Feb 7 09:25:07 PST 2018

Il 07/02/2018 11:18, Victor Olaya ha scritto:
> I dont see the advantage in having providers in core.

I see the following:
* tests (already available in our infrastructure)
* translations
* more exposure
* documentation

> And if there is an
> advantage, it's clearly not in how easy it is going to be to maintain
> the plugin.

until now it has been maintained somehow; if more resources are needed,
we can find a way

> If the people responsible of a given backend (like OTB) are
> going to maintain it (which makes sense), why putting it in core where
> they don't have write access?

why not granting them write access?

> Better in a separate repo. Also, they can
> release whenever there are changes, without having to wait for a new
> release. That way, the plugin will always be in sync with new releases
> of the backend app.

this is certainly true; AFAICT OTB people has proposed a solution

> If we put them in core...why putting only this big ones (which in some
> cases require installing external apps manually by the user), and not
> put other plugins that exist and contain Processing providers?

I'd be in favour of adding anything important for users.

Thanks for your thoughts.

When in Madeira we can have a discussion about this. It would be good if
all interested parties could meet, locally and remotely.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu