[QGIS-Developer] Processing Help system

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Feb 8 04:57:17 PST 2018

On 08-02-18 08:50, matteo wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I want to share a super brief summary of the brainstorming we had on
> this topic. I think it is better to speak about it in Madeira with all
> the interested people.
>
> There are some small issues with the Help system and Processing (sphinx
> related): that is, URLs build from the Help system are (sometimes)
> different from those generated from Sphinx.
>
> Differences are:
>
> * Help system build URL with providerId/groupId/algorithmName.html
> * provider "native" is not present in sphinx
> * Help system concatenates words (eventually) while sphinx puts `-`
> between words
>
> At the end, for some algorithm, we have documentation already merged,
> but unreachable from the UI of Processing, e.g.:
>
> 1. Help system URL:
>
> https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/native/vectoroverlay.html#lineintersections
>
> 2. doc URL:
>
> https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vector_overlay_tools.html#line-intersections
>
> I hope interested people can jump in this discussion on share some thoughts!

Hi Matteo,

my 2cts: try to fix it either by fixing the code that creates the url
for the  1. Help system URL (even if that would need a switch from
native->qgis or so)..
OR by just plain renaming those directories in the manual (2. doc URL)
(as in Sphinx the links are never the the real html names, but to those
ref-id's). Note that renaming files or directories means changing
paths/resourcenames for transifex too.

only if all fails I would start to create redirects, as in my experience
these are very hard to maintain, especially when they need to work
between different kind of QGIS versions....

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde