[QGIS-Developer] Incorrect hidpi setting in 3.0 for OSX

Alister Hood alister.hood at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 23:19:04 PST 2018

Hi Nyall,

Nyall Dawson wrote:

What I can't work out is why Qt widgets themselves badly handle hidpi
> screens. E.g. a QDockWidget on hidpi has a TINY close button. I think
> that needs fixing in Qt itself though, and until they do we just learn
> to squint... but we DON'T try to hack around it using the pixel ratio
> settings.
>
> I also can't work out how to automatically scale layout
> padding/margins by font metrics. It seems a huge endeavour to manually
> set all these... yet without doing so the layouts on hidpi look very
> cramped because widgets a smooshed up against each other with barely
> any padding.
>
> Bah. I wish my laptop could run natively in a low dpi mode with the
> correct aspect ratio. I'd just do that until Qt gets its mess sorted
> out.

What you call "low dpi" really isn't that low, and you might want to test
true "low dpi" setups as well as the "high dpi".
I have an arch linux box connected to my TV which IIRC is about 21DPI.
I haven't been able to build QGIS master on that machine, but I gave up on
trying to get other QT5 programs to render properly - using qt5ct I can
almost get them to work, but some widgets and text are microscopic.
FWIW QT5 isn't alone with its problems - if I set the dpi correctly (which
also requires using extremely large fonts) there are also major problems with
programs like Libreoffice and Opera and Seamonkey if it is using GTK3 -
i.e. some  widgets and fonts are microscopic or giant.