[QGIS-Developer] Concerns re UX of new "duplicate features" actions in 2.99

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 20:27:44 PST 2018

On 19 February 2018 at 16:24, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 February 2018 at 03:16, David Signer <david at opengis.ch> wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I agree (and I guess everyone else does), that it's not okay that this
>> feature is enabled when the layers are not in editable mode. I already
>> started to fix that, but because of time I had to decide to finish it next
>> week.
>>
>> Anyway, there is still the question, where it should appear. IMHO it should
>> be everywhere, where you can add and delete features. If it's a MapTool it
>> could be there as well, I think. I'll have to think about that.
>
> Thanks for your flexibility here!
>
> What's the chance of getting this resolved before 3.0 final? If we
> can't, can we please ifdef this out for 3.0 release and defer to 3.2?

In https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/6399 I implement a advanced
settings option, "tools\showDuplicateFeatureActions" to control
whether these actions are shown. By default it's off, but interested
organisations can set the flag in their qgis_global_settings.ini to
show these actions.

I think that's a fair approach - it means that users/organisations
which require this feature can still use it in 3.0, whilst at the same
time avoiding exposing the functionality to users by default until it
is refined.

Nyall