[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Call for possible vote on change to official plugin repo policy?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 21:55:29 PST 2018

On 19 February 2018 at 17:46, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi Nyall, all,
>
> Il 19/02/2018 05:54, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>
>> "Should the official QGIS plugin repository flag plugins which have
>> known serious issues, and hide these plugins from users unless a 'Show
>> plugins with known issues' checkbox is ticked?"
>
>> So my proposal is that:
>> - if a plugin has known, serious issues we contact the plugin author
>> to notify them
>> - we add a flag to the plugin to indicate it has known issues
>> - these plugins are not shown by default - users must opt in via a
>> checkbox (much like the "show experimental" check box)
>> - if/when the plugin fixes the issues, the flag is removed
>
> I fully understand and support your concerns. Why not simply deprecating
> these plugin? I have adopted this approach (much too rarely, trying not
> to hurt authors too much) in the past, and I found it simple and
> effective. Once issues are fixed, I simply remove the `deprecated` flag,
> et voilĂ .
> Not sure we need a vote for this, just establishing sensible guidelines
> should be enough.

That sounds like a good technical solution.

But (like others have raised) I think we need a clear policy here so
that there's no misunderstanding or developers feeling like they're
"targeted". That's why I think we need a strong policy, voted in by
the voting community, so that there's NO chance that anyone can claim
that this is being abused.

What's the next step here? I'd very much like to see this continue
moving forward promptly.

Nyall