[QGIS-Developer] Status of transaction support in Geopackages

Mark Johnson mj10777 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 27 02:12:42 PST 2018

>> that we get rid of the current provider and rely on GDAL only.

With the 'current provider' I assume you mean the Spatialite-Provider.

Please remember that the Spatialite-Provider was never designed to support
GeoPackage.

Please also remember that Gdal/Ogr does not support all aspects of
Spatialite
- writable SpatialViews are not supported

The present QgsOgrProvider does not support Spatialite-Tables with more
than 1 geometry properly.

'that we get rid of the current provider' would then mean for me (and no
doubt other) that Qgis would become fairly useless.

That the present Spatialite-Provider is sadly underdeveloped and in no way
will be able to deal with the upcoming Spatialite 5.0 changes is well known.

A new Spatialite-Provider is being actively worked on and is earmarked for
Qgis 3.2, that will deal with the present problems as well as supporting
the extra functionality of Spatialite 5.0.

Mark Johnson, Berlin Germany