[QGIS-Developer] Vector tiles

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Feb 27 22:35:54 PST 2018

Hi Tom,

Areas in vector tiles are artificially cut into pieces. If you want to
stroke the outlines of the areas you would not only get the wanted
outlines of the original feature geometries, but in addition, also the
unwanted, artificial, borders.

And even if you just fill and don't stroke, you would get rendering
artefacts (depending on the antialiasing settings of the rendering
library). qt, for instance, does not a good job to avoid rendering
artefacts of adjacent polygons who have a shared outline. You would
still see fine white lines.

If you want to label areas, it would also be a problem. Similar
problems, if you want to label LineString data.

There just so many unsolved issues with vector tiles (if they aren't
connected properly back to the original geometries by the client) - that
personally I don't bother working with them.

Andreas