[QGIS-Developer] Rename Style manager to Symbol manager in 3.0?

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 17:15:34 PST 2018

While writing some tutorials, I have noticed some possible nomenclature
confusion between Symbols (as compounds of stacked markers, lines, fills
outlines and color ramps) and Styles (a vector layer symbols and labels
settings).

We currently have to places we call "Style manager":
1. The symbols library that we open by going to Options > Style Manager;
2. The Style manager tab in the Layer Styling panel.

I think that the first one should be renamed to "Symbols manager", since it
exclusively allows to create, edit, group, import and export symbols, and
not styles.

On the other hand, the Style manager in the Layer Styling panel allows to
create, manage, load, save as default the layers' styles (unfortunatly it
does not allow to save styles as we can do in properties).

Any strong opinions about this?

Thanks.

Alexandre Neto

--