[QGIS-Developer] Better updating for QGIS3?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Jan 4 09:44:13 PST 2018

Hi Tobias

> On 04 Jan 2018, at 17:58, Tobias Wendorff <tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Jürgen,
>
> Am Mi, 3.01.2018, 19:20 schrieb Jürgen E. Fischer:
>> The builds only happen once a day - not on each commit.
>> And the packages only cover qgis.  The dependencies are
>> only updated the those package change - which doesn't happen (
>> that) often.
>
> if developers of QGIS3 will switch to "release once - update often",
> there will/should be more updates. See Firefox or Chrome... they
> are updating very often (even silently).

Just to make it clear, nobody is proposing to make any changes to the frequency of releases. Point releases will be every 4 months, bug fix releases still monthly on the LTR versions (if there are any fixes), weekly and nightly builds etc. will just continue exactly as they do at the moment.

BTW I also live in a bandwidth impoverished society and share your desire for minimising bandwidth, but short of delta updates (which we don't have the resources to implement at the moment) there isn’t much room for optimising in my opinion.

Regards

Tim