[QGIS-Developer] UbuntuGIS builds of QGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 4 22:39:28 PST 2018

On 01/05/2018 02:26 AM, Jeremy Palmer wrote:
> Is there a reason for the QGIS 2.18.X builds of UbuntuGIS builds having a
> dependency on GDAL ABI 2.2.2? linking to a patch release seems very weird.

Because the C++ ABI was not stable in the past, see:

> I know the GDAL team tries to ensure ABI compatibility within a minor
> version.

Maybe it is now, but it was not in the past.

GDAL 2.3.0 will be the first release for which I'll try not to bump the
virtual ABI dependency (keeping it at gdal-abi-2-3-0) to see if C++ ABI
is now actually stable. If that fails, the virtual ABI dependency will
be changed for every patch release again.

Kind Regards,

Bas