[QGIS-Developer] QGis 3D performance

Vincent Habchi vince at macports.org
Fri Jan 5 07:39:27 PST 2018

Folks,

sorry if I bug you with my multiple (scattershot) messages.

When I display a 3D view on OS X / Qt 5.10 with a reasonably recent MacBook Pro 13" (i5-5257U CPU - integrated graphics), even when I don’t interact with the view, the fan ramps up and top reports a CPU usage around 50% for QGis. Other applications slow down perceptibly.

In my experiment, I use a 25x25 m DEM as terrain model and display around 40,000 3D vector features (extruded buildings models).

Is this CPU load expected? Do you get a similar phenomenon on your own hardware?

Thanks,
Vincent