[QGIS-Developer] Where do we sit with respect to release?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 12:04:49 PST 2018

On 9 January 2018 at 23:21, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi Matthias,

>> > If the project settled on Feb. 8, can we have an official
>> > acknowledgement on this? Maybe a simple mail to the dev list stating
>> > "QGIS 3.0 will be released on Feb. 8, 2018".
>
>> Feb 8 sounds like a sensible date to me, some time left for fixing but
>> still in a reasonable timeframe.
>
> I'd opt for the next set point release dates.  19.1. is probably to early, so
> 23.2. would be up next.
>
> 3.0.0 would be release then. 2.14.22 would be the last release of the old LTR
> on 19.1. and would be replaced by 2.18.17 when 3.0.0 is released.

I like this timeline. We've got a LOT of work to do to bring stability
to 3.0, and I'd prefer for users to have a great first impression of
this release.

Given how big a release it is, we're going to get a lot of new and
return users (who have previously used and moved away from QGIS)
installing and evaluating 3.0. For the sake of a couple of weeks I'd
prefer squash a few more of these bugs and give a great initial
impression of QGIS 3.0 to these users.

Nyall