[QGIS-Developer] Ubuntu Package Releases and GDAL Dependencies

Stefan Steiger Steiger at cor-management.ch
Thu Jan 11 05:48:43 PST 2018

Stable isn't necessarely more "unstable" than unstable - since "stable" is almost never really well tested.
Maybe that depends on your definition of "really well", but anyway, just saying.
Also, stable doesn't mean bug-free, it just mean stable, that ist o say, staying as is.

If you have issues with default-packages/dependecies, why don't you just containerize it and create a snapcraft-package ?
Maybe someone also wants to have 2 different applications that both use the GDAL of a (different) specific version each on the same system ...
That could never be stable since one oft he two would probably not work.

Snappycraft also has the advantage that you need to create only ONE package for all the major distros, such as Ubuntu&Derivates., Debian, Fedora/CentOS, Arch, Suse, ScientificLinux, Gentoo, etc.

Then you can test that one package, and then you know it works or doesn't, and dependencies only get updated when your snapcraft package gets updated.
This would be my definition of "stable".

Also, snapcraft would make it possible to distribute commercial packages, e.g. with google-maps material, through snapcraft-store
https://docs.snapcraft.io/reference/snap-command
snap buy <package name>

https://snapcraft.io
https://askubuntu.com/questions/743068/how-to-install-snapcraft-on-14-04