[QGIS-Developer] QGIS-Developer Digest, Vol 147, Issue 51

Jeremy Palmer palmerjnz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 11:24:53 PST 2018

Hi Stefan,

> Stable isn't necessarely more "unstable" than unstable - since "stable" is
> almost never really well tested.
> Maybe that depends on your definition of "really well", but anyway, just
> saying.
> Also, stable doesn't mean bug-free, it just mean stable, that ist o say,
> staying as is.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a set of modern packages which are
maintained and aligned with Ubuntu LTS. But from Bas' comments UbuntuGIS
doesn't provide this.

> If you have issues with default-packages/dependecies, why don't you just
> containerize it and create a snapcraft-package ?

Yes! Actually this is one idea we have been thinking about since Bas'
reply. This approach is what the MacOSX and Windows packages do now. Along
with the overall benefits of a package to install everywhere for LINUX, a
QGIS snap package would enable the use of the latest supported packages,
without dependency hell, and provide all the QGIS features that might not
be available due to standard distro packaging e.g upcoming QGIS 3.0 3D, or
new GDAL format driver, or QT features. Maybe with funding or community
support this PR could be finished https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3545?

Thanks,
Jeremy