[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 05:52:39 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'ld like to raise a last call to switch to github issue tracker before the
release.
I'd like to summarize briefly why.

Pros (to me):
- integration with code and mainly with PR
- avoid multiplication of platforms
- so much more powerful (attachment, text formatting, referecing issue/PR,
pinging people, fitlering/searching/tagging, possibility to plugin external
issue management such as zenhub or others)
- so much more responsive, mobile friendy and easy to use
- lower infrstructure management on QGIS team (would be available for other
stuff)
- opportunity to clean the list

A proof that current situation is sub-optimal:
- people are pointing to code issues directly in comments of commits on
github rather than creating an issue (high chance of getting lost)
- people send mail to the mailing saying they have created an issue (sic)
- people creates new gitub repo for creating issue lists (sic again): see
qgis 3 API or UX changes
- mantra thing is a nightmare for new comers

Why I don't agree on the raised issues to not to move to github:
- migration of existing issues: we have migrated a to a new redmine which
should make migration easier [0].
- Github has a close-source: there is an API and existing tools to migrate
to other issue tracker [1]. I guess it leads down to pragmatic vs ethical
matters.

I would be in favor of using a semi-automatic migration:
- move all open tickets
- propose a tool to migrate others on demand: like a one-click process to
move the features.
But this can be decided afterwards.

I know PSC is (was?) against it, but I feel the majority of devs (and new
issue posters) are for it.
Sorry to hassle on the topic. Let me know if I shall shut-up forever. Or
raise your hand :)

Or can we setup a loomio vote directly???

Best wishes,
Denis

[0] https://github.com/gmontard/issue-sync-redmine-github
[1] Github importer for Gitlab: