[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jan 12 06:49:54 PST 2018

On 01/12/2018 03:31 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the biggest question: who does all the work to migrate from
> Redmine to Github while not loosing all our history?

I started working on it some time ago and thought it looked quite
promising. I stopped the work because of lack of conviction that there's
a perspective for this.

> And I don't think that Redmine is so bad usability wise. I agree, the
> UI is not as sexy as Github, but it does its job well. It is much more
> powerful for finding and filtering. The issues we had with the slow
> performance was fixed when moving to a new Machine at Hetzner. The
> main argument for github is in my opinion not ease of use - but the
> integration with the code base - that is definitely a strength of
> github issue reporting.

Agreed, it's better than before.
Because no more mantra, usable performance.
On the other hand I don't prefer it's search and filtering options.

> To undermine that github is not easy to use for non-dev users: last
> Wednesday at the Swiss QGIS user meeting I was in the meeting for
> QWC2. Users had no idea at all how Github works and could be used for
> issue reporting. One had to explain it to them and teach them how to
> use it. To assume that using github is self-explanatory for non-tech
> users is a wrong assumption.

I wouldn't claim that for either of the two platforms. There's a
learning curve for both. Myself, I happen to meanwhile embrace markdown
but struggle with the redmine syntax. Not because it's worse, just
because I am too lazy to learn another one.

Matthias