[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Jan 13 15:17:58 PST 2018

Hi All

> [QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Given our history on the topic, I doubt very much this is true :-P

> I know PSC is (was?) against it, but I feel the majority of devs (and new issue posters) are for it.

Actually this is not true (correct me if I am wrong PSC): the PSC was against two things:

1) losing all history in issue manager. I think this is reasonable since there is a lot of very useful history in the issue tracker and it was felt that a 'clean slate start ‘ would be a disservice to all those who have raised issues in the past.
2) calling for a migration without a fully tested, fully fleshed out plan to manage the migration from start to finish. This means someone taking responsibility for the *whole* process which so far hasn’t been forthcoming.

In Essen we voted against migrating to GitHub issues (even though many of use were in favour of to idea) because of these reasons. If items 1 and 2 above can be resolved, I don’t think you will find too much resistance from the PSC (though I will let other PSC members speak for themselves if this is the case or not).

@sandro: the wiki markup of GitHub is Markdown (an open format) which is widely used in many places so it is definitely a re-useable skill beyond GitHub. The converse is true for Redmine’s markup language which seems pretty arcane after using Markdown.

Regards

Tim