[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D needs a 2D profile windows

Jakob Lanstorp jlanstorp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 03:23:41 PST 2018

For future consideration and funding I would like to list a feature request
for a 2D profile window in conjunction with the QGIS 3D map I just entered
at:  https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17856
<https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17856>

Description

If the 3D windows reaches a point where data like subsurface geological
layers can be visualized - need will come for a 2D profile window. Working
with geological 3D models requires a lot of input like boreholes and
geophysical data. This massive input will obfuscate the 3D windows making it
almost useless. When we make 3D geological models at work with software like
Geoscene-3D nobody really use the 3D windows for anything. The 2D profile
window - defined from a buffered polyline in a 2D map window - is where you
model layers and add points in 2D. The points converts automatically to 3D
points in relation to either profile line or if they are snapped to an
existing 3D geometry in the 2D profile map. Interpolation on 3D points
delivers the resulting 3D layer.

Also other 3D subsurface data like drinking water pipes, sewer networks and
power lines could benefit from a 2D profile window.

Regards,
Jakob

-----
Jakob Lanstorp