[QGIS-Developer] Last call for switching to github issue tracker

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Thu Jan 18 09:55:57 PST 2018

Hello,

A bit late to the party, and I think for such an important matter it is
good to wait a bit to hear more voices.

I have mixed feelings about switching to a new issue manager without the
history for QGIS3, and will not argue here for a specific roadmap.

But I think the GitHub vs GitLab debate in case of switching is still open.

On 18/01/2018 18:34, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
>>         What is next?
>>         A loomio vote for this?
>
>     So I would suggest raising a vote on the motion:
>
>     “We should adopt GitHub issues for reporting issues in 3.0 and
>     restrict Redmine for the management of issues in QGIS 2.x”.
>

> Great. Will you take care of it?

I would rather tend to go to GitLab for the following reasons :
- interface quite similar to GitHub
- login on GitLab.com is possible with a GitHub account
- (personal opinion) much more pleasant to use than GitHub
- Full OpenSource Community edition ( no vendor lock-in)
- Faster development than GitHub
- Much better CI management

Concerning last point, we are currently working at Oslandia on GitLab CI
for QGIS on Windows, and generally for OSGeo4W packages, in order to be
able to deliver better packages for QGIS and related softwares.

There is still a lot to do, but we see GitLab as being much more
powerful than GitHub in this area, and it would be much easier to
publish our CI work for the community if QGIS were hosted on GitLab.

Regards,

Vincent