[QGIS-Developer] Bringing back a *highly curated* blocker tag on redmine?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 15:22:29 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'd like to raise the idea of resurrecting the "blocker" tag on
redmine. I understand the reasons behind its original removal, and
fully agree that the new process is working much better.

BUT...

We have two extremely serious issues open against QGIS 3.0, which I
think SHOULD block the release. These are:

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17985 : Huge memory leak with NULL
attributes in Python
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17916 : Crashes and instability with Qt 5.10

I don't think we can proceed with any 3.0 release while these two
issues are unsolved.

That's why I'd like to see the blocker tag brought back, but with it
actually BLOCKING the release (vs the previous definition, which
ultimately just meant "hey please fix this because it impacts me a
lot!"). And I'd like to see it highly curated to avoid users tagging
their own pet bugs with it.

Thoughts?

Side note: These two bugs are very tricky. Numerous developers have
looked into them without luck. They may be upstream library issues, or
something we cause in QGIS code. Please, if you have any developer
hours available and any insights into them it would be very much
appreciated!

Nyall