[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Bringing back a *highly curated* blocker tag on redmine?

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:09:52 PST 2018

Hi all,

> I think that a carefully used BLOCKER tag makes a lot of sense.
>
> There are some bugs that we should definitely not be part of a release or
> this will seriously impact user's trust in QGIS both as a software and as a
> community.
>
> I also suggest that the ones who take care of the bug queue (kind of QA
> managers) should be in charge of managing and lifting the blocker tag.

I'm also very much in favor of bringing it back.

Just a note: when we added the "blocker" tag (circa 2011) it wasn't
because of the "hey please fix this because it impacts me a lot!" kind
of tickets. It was added at a point we decided to enforce fixing all
the regressions before releasing a new version. During that time the
program improved *a lot*, in fact its development and adoption started
snowballing, new tickets started rain in and everything become more
complicated (and since a while it is even more complicated with both
LTR that needs to keep going and QGIS3 to be developed).

I agree that we must decide what should be tagged a blocker without
any doubt (other than obvious issues as the ones pointed by Nyall).

Examples of what, in my opinion, should be a always a real blocker:

* a regression that causes data corruption (like the one that caused
to compute wrong area in several 2.* releases)
* a regression that causes qgis to crash (and it wasn't the case in
previous releases)

else?

cheers!

-- G --