[QGIS-Developer] Keeping OTB algorithm in qgis processing

Rashad Kanavath mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 02:23:34 PST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:

> The original idea was to have most providers removed...which included
> R, GRASS and SAGA as well. Finally, only certain providers were
> removed, mostly those that require dependencies not provided with QGIS
> (LiDAR tools, R...and OTB)
>
> If maintaining the plugin is complicated and no work is done on that,
> then definitely it is better to keep it as core. But we have to make
> sure that the user knows that the provider by itself is useless, and
> that OTB has to be installed separately. Otherwise, we will see
> confusion and i think it will not be a good idea

Okay.
I propose the following change.
an otb provider without much complication to maintain for qgis and is not
tied to specific otb version
A provider will allow to download && install latest otb binary packages
(optional) for user's who don't have OTB.
Ofcourse, a download of otb isn't just download, it will configure itself
for qgis processing.
So the provider itself is usable in a way without otb, because it can
handle installation if one needs to.

> My 2 cents

> > Il 31/01/2018 09:50, Rashad Kanavath ha scritto:
> >
> >> Thanks Paolo,
> >> Can you give a link to that discussion?
> >
> > I had a look to the archives, and I only found this:
> > https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2017-May/048470.html
> > Surely Victor and Alex can provide further details.
> > All the best.
> >
> > --
> > Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> > QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html