[QGIS-Developer] Updating qgis:rastercalculator to work better in models

Rudi von Staden rudivs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:01:22 PDT 2018

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:30, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
> My question (poll) is... does it make sense to patch native raster calc instead of override gdal_calc limitation?
> Make sense to solve raster calculator bug only if these bugs are generic and does not depend of the specific organization of the raster calculator GUI.

I've also encountered the issues using gdal_calc with non-homogenous
layers (which is why I started looking at the raster calculator).
Another reason I would like to see the native calc working is because
it runs much faster than having to wrap third-party tools. I've found
gdal is generally not too bad, but my use-case is still to build a
model and loop through it hundreds of times, so every second counts.

My feeling is that it wouldn't take much work to get the raster
calculator at least usable in the modeler at its current level of
functionality. Improving gdal_calc or implementing more powerful
operators in native raster calculator can then be a secondary, more
involved process.

Rudi