[QGIS-Developer] Create Grid (Grid.py) Crash and Exception

Alan A. Mick alan.a.mick at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:00:00 PDT 2018

Thanks! That worked!

I put in a fully qualified file name in the "Grid" dialog box and it
worked - I left the "Open output file after running algorithm" checked
and it adds the vector layer to my project. It uses a default layer name
of "Grid" rather than my file name, but I can rename it.

Exploring a bit, I opened the [...] button for the input field and
selected File. I got the standard Save file dialog defaulted to
C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\QGIS\QGIS3\profiles\default\processing\outputs.
My bet is that this directory requires special permission to write to,
and I would not want to put my files there anyway.

RE: Was this done through the processing toolbox? How did you obtain the
"test" value here?

Yes, I used the processing toolbox: Processing->Toolbox->Vector
creation->Create grid. The dialog that opens has a "Grid" section at the
bottom with an input field. By default it contains the advisory [Create
temporary layer]. I used this the first time I tried Create Grid, and it
worked. I then renamed the layer in the layer panel and saved it. Given
my experience, I assumed that I could type in the name of a layer here
and it would put the layer in the layer panel, from which I could save
it. I now understand how it works. Thanks!

For reference, I have attached a screen shot of the dialog box - hope it
makes it through the list server!

Since this is a developer list, I have two suggestions - First update
the Create Grid documentation, second, create an "invalid file name"
trace in the log or some such message so the cause of the problem would
be better understood by those who might run into it.

I'm sure I can update the documentation, and I might be able to update
the code also. What should I do to get involved with helping out?