[QGIS-Developer] Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin deprecated

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jun 5 05:01:15 PDT 2018

On 05-06-18 13:51, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> I have never used the plugin but repeatedly seen its name mentioned, so
> I assume it's widely used?

I know, it was the first plugin which made it possible to to rectangles
and shapes.

BUT it is also known as a plugin which kills QGIS after some time, eg:
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/9229 and other issues.
If I'm correct it keeps connecting actions, but never removes them or so...

That was the reason to add the flag so swiftly...

> In this case, it would be great if someone could volunteer as a new
> maintainer for the plugin. I think the minimal amount of work would be
> to merge pull requests and upload patched releases to the plugin repository.

Agreed, and I'm fine with that too.
But we should also not keep old, troubling plugins in the repo list IF
there are better newer alternatives available.
In this case, try:

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/shapetools/

which can even create heart shapes :-)

But: feel if anybody takes over the Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin,
we can easily remove the flag again.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde