[QGIS-Developer] Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing plugin deprecated

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:50:03 PDT 2018

On 5 June 2018 at 23:44, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> From my point of view, this patch should be shipped even without a
> general overhaul.
> The plugin in use and probably causing data loss, reducing productivity
> and giving bad reputation for QGIS (I guess many are not aware that it's
> actually a plugin which is responsible for the situation, that their
> QGIS is slowing down).

While we are discussing this - I'd also like to seem the same logic
applied to the OpenLayers plugin. That plugin has very serious issues,
more so than the Rectangles/ plugin (since OpenLayers can cause data
corruption!). Better alternatives exist now (XYZ tiles,
QuickMapServices plugin).

I'd be very much in favour of deprecating the OpenLayers plugin and
marking it with a "install QuickMapServices" instead warning.

Nyall