[QGIS-Developer] Deprecating OpenLayers Plugin?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jun 6 15:48:03 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Il 06/06/2018 12:55, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
> Hi Nyall, Primin, others:
>
> Il 06/06/2018 11:50, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>
>> While we are discussing this - I'd also like to seem the same logic
>> applied to the OpenLayers plugin. That plugin has very serious issues,
>> more so than the Rectangles/ plugin (since OpenLayers can cause data
>> corruption!). Better alternatives exist now (XYZ tiles,
>> QuickMapServices plugin).
>>
>> I'd be very much in favour of deprecating the OpenLayers plugin and
>> marking it with a "install QuickMapServices" instead warning.
>
> I understand your point, and I confirm that a large number of users
> complain about this. I'd appreciate, before taking any step, if the
> original author would comment on this.

as far as I can understand, OL plugin is the sole that can be used
legally; the others may violate GG licence (caution: IANAL).
One alternative to deprecating would be to state clearly advantages
(legality) and disadvantages (limitations or bugs) clear in the
description and about.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu