[QGIS-Developer] 2.18 and 3.x Fix regression in Legend Composer : PR 7260

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Jun 21 00:28:31 PDT 2018

Hi René-Luc,

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

I think there are a few things to consider here:

 - This might break working 2.18 workflows, where in the legend is
   currently labelled with the name and not the title. The question here
   is, what's more important, not breaking working 2.18 projects or
   having a 0-work migration path from 2.14. This is the main question
   concerning merging this into 2.18.

For merging into 3.0, the questions are different ones.

 - Is it a requirement that QGIS needs to be able to use different names
   in the layer tree than the ones used as the printing default?
   Currently the table name is visible on the tooltip and in the general
   tab.

   - If yes, would it be more appropriate to define this on application
     level, that you'd like to use table names rather than the name in
     the layer tree.

   - Is it appropriate and transparent to the user, that information
     from the metadata tab is used to override the name? At the moment
     this is as far as I know a unique behavior within QGIS to use meta-
     data for this kind of thing and the behavior is quite obscure.

Thanks again for raising this discussion
Matthias