[QGIS-Developer] OSGeo4W pip install frustration

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:27:04 PDT 2018

Sometime in the last several months something changed such that trying to
pip install any package in the OSGeo4W shell gives this error message.

C:\OSGEO4~1\apps\Python27\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\urllib3\util\ssl_.py:137:
InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This
prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain
SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to
solve this. For more information, see
https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
  InsecurePlatformWarning

At the FOSS4G NA workshop we had this problem and just used whl packages
and manually installed them.

Is there a good procedure to fix this problem without having to manually
install packages? I see a number of references when I do a google search,
but I have not been successful except for manual installation.

Thanks,

Calvin