[QGIS-Developer] Projecta

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Jun 25 00:26:57 PDT 2018

Hi

> On 25 Jun 2018, at 09:01, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Wow, thanks for the very detailed answer.

My Pleasure :-)

8< ————— snip ——————

> Having either a proper subdomain like proposed here and/or (if not feasible quickly) move the whole QGIS project to something like project.qgis.org which is generic enough to serve for all the subparts, that would be great.

I think we can change this easily enough, project.qgis.org sounds like a nice name.

OK I will write a ticket for this, we can do it. Ticket made here https://github.com/kartoza/prj.app/issues/964

> - Having SSL (signed with qgis.org)

Its on our road map.

> - Having a page design that matches qgis.org

Also on our road map to support theming though making it look 100% matched might give us some challenges.

> - Having a link from qgis.org

That would be nice.

We should probably link it from https://www.qgis.org/en/docs/index.html

>> SSL is on our roadmap for projecta,
>>
>> We are also going to be rebranding it soon as http://prj.app <http://prj.app/> (nothing to see there yet) with an on ramping process to make it easy for new projects to sign up.
>>
>> We would be happy to tweak things to include custom domain support for other parts of the app e.g. http://lessons.qgis.org <http://lessons.qgis.org/>. There are also other interesting things that we built on the platform that never really got used - especially the quorum tool which lets you form teams in a project, make and record decisions (pre-dated loomio) and has a concencus model built in.
>>
>> For QGIS.org <http://qgis.org/> I would suggest to generally keep things as you have it - pull static content onto the site and use projecta as backend where you prepare content. It is a ‘safe’ way to manage things since once content is static, there isnt much that can go wrong and we trade a few moving parts in the content preparation phase for basically no moving parts in the content delivery stage.
> Cool, not much to add from my side. I'm generally happy with the process as long as a visitor can easily see where the "authoritative" version is located and whenever the "authoritative" version of a framework is on prj.app it appears trustworthy for a visitor.

Agreed that would be nice.

>> Hope that sheds some light on the big picture view of things from project’s side - and hopefully those with other published software will consider using Prj.app in the future to benefit from all the stuff we have built for QGIS.org <http://qgis.org/> and to help support us in maintaining the platform….
> It does, this platform has a big potential for QGIS but also for other projects.

Thanks Matthias.

Regards

Tim

> Best regards