[QGIS-Developer] Separate namespaces for QGIS-LTR and QGIS (3)

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 00:21:20 PST 2018

No pun intended, when you announced what you were going to do, I used
MapInfo as my main GIS and Thuban as a viewer and I hoped very much you
were starting something that was went further.
Since version 0.11 I was using QGIS as my "main" GIS. What I was saying is
that the continuous improvement made all users rely on a dependable QGIS.
Departing from a cautious approach to a very fast development pace means
users can keep an LTR for day to day working (no advanced needs) and an
"evolution" approach for the advanced features. I didn't think that saying
"viewer" I diminished the huge effort of these years. The "viewer" approach
is still a plus of QGIS and it's not something easy to accomplish if I see
the work on Processing and what has been done for GRASS. I think being a
"viewer" for GDAL means getting all of the benefits of an evolving project.
This has its drawbacks, some processing that is needed at the feature level
was available only on layers as a whole. I meant that, the last major
version is a further step that asks for more dependability.
My apologies for all the developers who felt injured by my words.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 12:04 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 03 Mar 2018, at 20:43, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 03. Mar 2018 at 12:43:00 +0100, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.)
> wrote:
>
> but also abandoned the idea of QGIS as a simple viewer that acquires
> editing
> abilities by plugins.
>

> Was that ever a goal?  If so, I didn't know - but I have been around only
> for a
> bit more than 10 years ;)
>

> Yeah I think the idea of being a full fledged GIS rather than a simple
> viewer has been with us for many years already….glad to see it is really
> taking hold with 3.0 though :-) Great to have your inputs Carlo.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.
> de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode
>

> ---
>
> *Tim Sutton*
> QGIS Project Steering Committee Chair
> tim at qgis.org

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel./fax +39(0)10 2475439  +39 0108566195 <010%20856%206195>
mobile:+39 393 1590711 <393%20159%200711>
   e-mail: bertelli at chartasrl.eu      http://www.chartasrl.eu