[QGIS-Developer] Discussing qgd files

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Mar 5 07:03:08 PST 2018

Hi,

In QGIS 3 there is always a qgd file created alongside with QGIS
projects. I heard that they are used as auxilliary file to store project
specific labels - right?

So far fine - but why are these files always created, even if the file
isn't used? Couldn't we create them on demand when they are really
needed? Currently, they are always created. I almost never use this
feature - yet these files are always created.

I would assume that these extra files are a source of confusion to our
users - and if the project is renamed - most likely they don't know that
this file belongs to the same project and should be renamed as well -
almost as bad as with shapefiles ...

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter,

Andreas