[QGIS-Developer] proj5 and epsg:3857 ?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Mar 8 00:29:44 PST 2018

On 08-03-18 09:05, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> On 2018-03-08 08:43, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> As we have OSM xyz layer now, and I think a lot of people will use it as
>> a quick reference map, we should be carefull to include proj5 in
>> distributions/installs then I think?
>>
>> Like: let's not put proj5 as default in Osgeo4w untill this is
>> fixed/released.
>
> When distributions don't adopt proj 5.0.0 it won't get much real world
> usage and hence won't uncover other regressions that should be fixed in
> the next release.
>
> There were many release candidates, but only a handful of testers.
>
> OSGeo projects should get more involved testing new core library release
> candidates to catch regressions like these earlier.

I mostly agree:

/me running Debian sid is supposed to hit this. I'm ok with it.

But given we know this is an issue now, we should not distribute this
further to Windows users/osgeo4w who are NOT running a testing setup.

More testing is always better. But for users/end-users it is pretty hard
to keep testing all functionality in all packages used. These bugs just
hit you when you use them.

Regards,

Richard