[QGIS-Developer] Pull requests, reviews, beginner questions

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 03:30:58 PST 2018

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made a small PR yesterday - and accidentally added another small fix to
> it today. The PR is at https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/6556
>
> The first change in the PR is a fix to translation (a string is changed
> before it is sent to tr) and the second change fixes a missing default to
> gdaldem color-relief processing (I suspect many more fixes like this needed
> to other gdal processing tools, see my old PR 4220)

I'm not very familiar with PRs, especially in a large project like QGIS. It
> seems to me that I should specifically ask the original authors of those
> sources I'm fixing to review the PR? And should I assume they will merge
> the PRs? The travis CI build seems to have failed checking my PR - but most
> likely the reason is not my PR but something else - how to check?
>
> Lastly, these changes are very small, is PR the correct way to submit them?

yes, you did it right.

You can politely ask a developer to review your PR in a comment in your PR
but there is no guarantee that the developer will have time to review it.

Most developers go through the PR queue from time to time, but not every
developer is expert in all areas of the code.

You can check the failures on travis:
https://travis-ci.org/qgis/QGIS/builds/350755583?utm_source=github_status&utm_medium=notification

Keep in mind that sometimes Travis fails for obscure reasons that are not
related to the PR, if this is the case closing and re-opening the PR will
trigger Travis again and if it was a temporary problem the tests will
eventually pass.

Btw, thanks for contributing to QGIS with your patches!

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it