[QGIS-Developer] Problems compiling QGIS 3.0: no matching function for call to QgsLayerTreeLayer::connect

ceholden ceholden+QGIS at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:32:52 PST 2018

Hi

I encountered this same error trying to compile and package QGIS 3.0 within
the "conda-forge" community channel of the Anaconda Python distribution, but
only when using GCC 4.8 (4.8.5, specifically). Pretty sure I have to stick
with GCC 4.8 for now within this build environment, but I did not encounter
this issue when using GCC 7.2 or 7.3. I switched out to gcc 7.2, keeping all
the other dependencies/etc the same, and can compile and run QGIS without
issue.

I don't know my way around SUSE, but it looks like the "gcc" package for
openSUSE Leap 42.3 is version 4.8
(https://software.opensuse.org/package/gcc). Assuming HernĂ¡n is using the
"gcc" package (and not "gcc6" or "gcc7", and thus would be using gcc 4.8.x),
then this could narrow down the issue and help explain why it hasn't come up
elsewhere. I'm unfortunately clueless about the GCC history and not much of
a C++ person, so I'm not sure where to go from here, beyond eventually
upgrading gcc, but would be happy to test patches/compilation options/etc.

Here's a link to a Gist with the output from cmake and the failed make step,
either using Make and Ninja (Ninja shows

Make:
https://gist.github.com/ceholden/b6179d58e17f983ce6f29b32531bb4fa#file-qgis3-0_gcc4-8_make_fail
Ninja:
https://gist.github.com/ceholden/b6179d58e17f983ce6f29b32531bb4fa#file-qgis3-0_gcc4-8_ninja_fail