[QGIS-Developer] Documentation and algorithm news

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 04:53:56 PDT 2018

Hi Alexandre,

> I have to agree with Harrissou. Going back to branch documentation at each
> point release will not help, it will only create a bigger burden to a very
> small team of interested people, with lots of commits needing to be ported
> back or forward.
>
> Although I have proposed to branch 3.0 documents from 2.18 before the
> release in the past, I think that was a different situation, where 2.18
> Docs were almost ready, and QGIS 3 release was yet undetermined.
>
> I fail to see why Processing should be an exception regarding the rest of
> the documentation. Everywhere, in the document there will be parts that
> will be updated to 3.2 before the official release in QGIS 3.4 (hopefully).
>
> Nevertheless, I am happy that someone is fully dedicated to it and I don't
> want to frustrate Matteo in his demand to keep everything updated.

no worries ;) I'm glad we are discussing about this topic

> My suggestion is:
>
> - Keep the branching as it is. That is, branch and release only for QGIS
> 3.4 LTR
> - Keep updating the master branch for all 3.x features (if possible giving
> priority to 3.0 features)
> - Backport anything missing on 2.18, if applicable.
> - For changes (in processing or not) specific to 3.2 or 3.4 add a note
> saying "New in QGIS 3.2" (we could use a substitution for easy tracking).
> That way, a QGIS 3.0 user using Testing Documentation understands that the
> feature/parameter or whatever is not yet available for him. (This is how
> Sphinx documentation does)
> - Before the release of QGIS 3.4 Documentation, we clean up all those
> messages.
>
> IMHO, this methodology will keep the simplicity of the process, while
> allows to document recent changes while they are still fresh.
>
> About the ALGCHANGE, it's a +0 for me. I would prefer to keep it as simple
> as possible and try not to have too many tags, The processing one would
> with the risk that Developers.

always thinking aloud (really thinking aloud).. what about branching the
docs but having a *dynamic* system based just on sphinx .. include:: ? I
mean, branching the 3.2 release and having the correct index set up with
just the Processing docs?

Cheers

Matteo