[QGIS-Developer] Microstation DGN v8

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:45:53 PDT 2018

On 14 March 2018 at 00:46, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.)
<carlo.bertelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, GDAL has a new driver based on the free (as in free speech as well
> as in free beer) Libopencad (https://github.com/sandyre/libopencad), it's
> called OpenCAD: http://www.gdal.org/drv_cad.html.
> Unfortunately it does not cover DGN v8. I think Alexandr Borzykh could
> extend his library to cover it as it is similar to DWG (it has no relation
> to previous "true" DGN format).

This would indeed be very valuable. I personally see it as a critical
risk for open source geo if we can't tighten our links to CAD (and
unfortunately, that means dealing with these proprietary formats).
Let's hope someone steps up and funds this development!

Nyall