[QGIS-Developer] Build new plugin in QGIS 2 or QGIS 3?

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 27 09:49:50 PDT 2018

On 03/27/2018 09:01 AM, Phil Ribbens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should I build a new plugin in QGIS 2 or 3?
>
> I've been tasked with building a new plugin, but given that QGIS 3 just came out I’m not sure whether I should build it in QGIS 2 or 3.
>
> Basically, the plugin will:
> 1) clip/extract a raster layer by a vector/polygon layer
> 2) combine that clipped/extracted raster with some additional data (from a csv I think), resulting in an output of new raster dataset(s) and one large data table
>
> A little more background:
> 	- I’m pretty much brand new to QGIS (if you haven’t noticed by now :)). I have downloaded both 2.18 and 3 and played around with them a bit, but I’m still pretty new to it all.
> 	- I do have some programming experience (including some, although not a ton, with Python).
> 	- I’ll be using a Mac
> 	- I'm hoping to have the plugin ready by sometime in July
> (also, in a related note, am I crazy to have signed on to do this?)
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide,
> Phil Ribbens

Start with an algorithm in the toolbox. Should be possible to write
something that works for either version, afaik.

Depending on your client and what they currently run, decide if you need
a plugin (custom GUI is really the only benefit here), and which version
they are comfortable with. I would target 3, and port back to 2.18 if
needed.

Timeframe seems reasonable.

Thanks,
Alex