[QGIS-Developer] Length measurement weirdness (again)

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Fri May 4 06:21:48 PDT 2018

This is one of the reasons why I wrote Geodesic Measure tool that is part
of Shape Tools. It is based on geographiclib's distance measures and is
relative accurate. I never knew whether I had the default QGIS measure tool
set correctly or not to give accurate measurements. More accurate
measurements could be obtained using geographiclib's gravity models such as
EGM2008, but that would require shipping the associated data which is large.

By the way I found out that the latest versions of proj.4 integrated
geographiclib. Is there a way to call these routines from a python plugin
in QGIS. I would assume the C code would be faster than the python library
which is what I use.

All the best.