[QGIS-Developer] Using Atlas in QGIS 3 to make a print ready publication

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun May 20 15:35:03 PDT 2018

Hi Alex

> On 20 May 2018, at 08:45, Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> To do what you want, the only way I can imagine is creating a Layer with two geometry columns for coverage. The first column would be a "normal" geometry column and could be used by atlas to provide the left page iteration. The second column could be stored in WKT, and using the data defined overwrite on the extent options to provide the right page iteration.

Yeah I though of similar things too though I was looking more for something we could give to end users (i.e. something clever we could add to core to support producing print ready books).

> The problem is that the coverage layer would need to be carefully (manually) crafted to create the odd and even pages. It would need to titeBesides, for the right page you would not be able to use atlas variables.
>
> I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to create all the individual pages normally using reports (to add static pages), export to PDF, and then create a booklet from it. I bet there are tools for that.
>
> For what I could gather, this kind of work is called creating a booklet, or page imposition. There is a python library to work with that:
>
> https://pypi.org/project/PdfImpose/ <https://pypi.org/project/PdfImpose/>

So maybe a plugin using pdfimpose (thanks for sharing that library, I havent seen it before!) might do it. I will go and check it out next weekend.

For ‘doing it in core’ I was wondering if we couldn’t have a concept of a frame item which is a virtual page that you can add to a layout letting you basically have two (or more) frames on a page side by side, with the atlas incrementing the currentAtlasFeature as it visits each frame.

Regards

Tim

> Best regards,
>
> Alex Neto
>
> Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com <mailto:tim at kartoza.com>> escreveu no dia sábado, 19/05/2018 às 16:25:
> Hi Kurt
>
> Thanks for your reply. Yep I have tried reports. Neither report (controlled by report) or atlas (controlled by atlas) offer a way to increment the atlas counter on the same layout page which sis what I basically need. If you look at the image from my original post it should hopefully make it clearer what I am trying to do.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> On 19 May 2018, at 14:30, Kurt Menke <kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com <mailto:kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim
>> This sounds like what the new Reports feature was built to do. Especially with the header/footer pages and triggers for different map content. Have you tried this in Reports in 3.0?
>> Best,
>> Kurt
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Co-founder: Kartoza
> Ex Project chair: QGIS.org <http://qgis.org/>
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/> to find out about open source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux
> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net/>
> Alexandre Neto
> @AlexNetoGeo
> http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com <http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com/>http://gisunchained.wordpress.com <http://gisunchained.wordpress.com/>
> <KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg><KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg>

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org