[QGIS-Developer] Dropping eVis plugin?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:24:52 PDT 2018

On 22 May 2018 at 23:57, Alexander Bruy <alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> should we drop eVis plugin from the codebase? It does not receive any attention
> (e.g. bugfixes) for many years, except keeping it compatible with API changes.
>
> Also all its functionality already available in core:
>  - with DB Manager we can connect to databases, query them and load results as
> new layers
>  - with actions it is very easy to open any document from the path stored in the
> attribute
>  - forms allow to view images from attributes
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm a strong -1.

If you'd asked me last week, I'd have been a strong +1... but then I
attended a conference where a workflow using evis was demonstrated
which revealed that there's a significant number of users of this
plugin still.

There's actually not that much missing from core which the plugin
offers. I think before we strip it out, we should ensure that its
workflow can be completely reproduced in core, or via a small python
plugin distributed via the normal channels.

Nyall