[QGIS-Developer] Missing custom rendering properties in QGIS3 Server

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:00:32 PDT 2018

On 23 May 2018 at 21:26, Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear Nyall,
> what would be an officially supported and stable implementation?

Sorry - to give more info - basically this setting was added as a
hidden option because it was a couple of lines of code change which
works in certain circumstances. Basically you need to be using a map
canvas to render, and must have all the render caching options enabled
(which result in layers being rendered onto separate image surfaces
before compositing them together).

Unfortunately a proper implementation of this, which works across all
of QGIS (including server and print layouts) isn't trivial at all.
(I'd estimate something like 2-4 weeks of development effort). In the
end it comes down to funding - it's a highly desirable feature, and
the only reason it hasn't been done yet is due to the complexity of
the changes. So someone has to sponsor a developer to implement the
changes. Ways you could assist would be:

- approaching QGIS core developers and getting an estimate for the
funds required

- directly sponsor the change

OR

- approach interested organisations and user groups and "co-fund" the changes
- organise a "crowd funding" effort to raise the funds

Hope that helps!
Nyall