[QGIS-Developer] MacOS packaging

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Nov 1 20:40:45 PDT 2018

Hi Peter

So I tested your installer and it works nicely! My main comments and questions are:

1) Extended support for GDAL plugins - William’s installer goes to lengths to install lots of nice gal plugins etc. Will you be following suite?
2) Code signing. The experience is somewhat reduced if the user has to create a security exception. There have been long discussions about this (see e.g. https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2015-October/003315.html). IIRC OSGEO has the cert that we could be signing with, it would be nice to have everything signed and instantly usable.
3) DMG versos PKG - did you bundle in a pkg just for the license / readme step? Otherwise not just share it in a dmg?
4) The package is nice and small - I was quite pleasantly surprised because I think Larry had told me their experiments with creating an application bundle resulted in a ~1gb .dmg
5) Giving the app a versioned name e.g. QGIS3.4.0 would be nicer so we can drop different versions into our /Applications folder and switch between them as needed
6) The readme popup on installation doesn’t look too good in dark mode

I didn’t test lots of things like using the App bundle for python dependencies in my IDE/standalone python stuff, GRASS support etc. etc. but I will say that having an all in one application bundle is something I have long wished for, and if we could have a code signed app bundle it would make the general experience of drag and drop installation so nice and intuitive. That said I also love the application package approach from William with shared frameworks and all the little details he takes care of to make things ‘just work’ on MacOS - it would be great if you and William could work together to take things forward.

On the technical side when you build the pkg did you end up doing it all as a make package step with CMAKE that grabs all the deps out of brew and drops them into the bundle then runs otool on them to fix the library paths or did you manage the process externally from CMAKE using e.g. a bash script?

Regards

Tim