[QGIS-Developer] iOS prototyping

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Nov 10 06:42:23 PST 2018

Hi all,

thanks for this discussion. I'm also pretty sure getting a property
transfer from all developers will be difficult if not impossible (quite
a few devs even disappeared from the radar, not easy to find them again).

A possible intermediate step would be to:

* get the transfer of code property to QGIS.ORG only from those
developers who are happy to do it

* ask a more specific question to others (e.g. are you willing to move
from GPL2 to GPL3?).

I think this is more feasible, will help building trust, will help
moving forward, and will make it easier (less people to contact) to do
further changes in the future.

All the best.

On 11/9/18 9:31 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> However, if we just talk about moving from GPL v2 to v3 - I think this
> would definitely be possible.
>
> A change to a more permissive license is a different thing. There you
> need really, really good arguments to convince the majority of the
> voting members, I think.
>
> Please don't see this as a PSC opinion - it is my own, personal
> opinion, and as I said, the PSC doesn't have an official "opinion" yet
> on this topic.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> Am 09.11.18 um 09:21 schrieb Andreas Neumann:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We talked about this very, very briefly on the PSC - and I can
>> already say that the topic is quite controversial within the PSC.
>>
>> I really don't see consensus here at the moment. And even if the PSC
>> wants to move in this direction, it is the voting members who need to
>> agree to it - and I personally doubt that a majority of them would
>> agree. The PSC (or any voting or community member) can suggest such
>> changes, but it is the voting members who decide/vote on it.
>>
>> @Nyall - if you want to raise such a voting, you are welcome to do
>> so. But it needs a proper listing of pros and cons of such a move -
>> and need to be prepared to give both sides (the proponents and the
>> opponents of such a change) a fair chance to raise their arguments.
>>
>> There are other open source projects that did such changes - so it
>> seems to be possible. But there is a fair chance that it will create
>> a lot of harm along the process (e.g. split the community into two
>> parts).
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> Am 09.11.18 um 09:06 schrieb Alessandro Pasotti:
>>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:52 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:nyall.dawson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     Your concerns are very valid, but could we defer this to a different
>>>     discussion? I really want to avoid this becoming an
>>>     us-vs-apple/debate
>>>     about the merit of specific licenses, and instead allow it to focus
>>>     solely on the question: "should the qgis org, with all the
>>>     checks and
>>>     balances it has in place, have the power to relicense the QGIS
>>>     codebase (or not)"?.
>>>
>>>     Nyall
>>>

>>> I'm -1 on this proposal, it's not that I don't trust the PSC (that
>>> have always done an amazing job!),  but perhaps because I'm Italian,
>>> I never fully trust the "government", to me the GPL license is like
>>> the constitution and it's there to protect from the possible abuses
>>> from the "government".
>>>
>>> Also, I particularly didn't like the "(8. Replace existing code from
>>> any non-signing contributors)", it sounds like "you don't like that?
>>> We don't need you".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alessandro Pasotti
>>> w3:   www.itopen.it <http://www.itopen.it>