[QGIS-Developer] iOS prototyping

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Nov 16 07:44:33 PST 2018

On 11/16/18 2:47 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch
> <mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>> wrote:
>
>     Am I too late for the party? Probably.
>

>     An example: it should be possible to provide QGIS as a service via a
>     remote desktop like cloud platform and change whatever you want
>     without
>     being forced to publish the source code with the current license
>     (Note:
>     I'm not a lawyer). At the same time it's really hard to distribute
>     QGIS
>     based public code to Apple tablets with the current license (Note: I'm
>     not a lawyer). Personally I'd prefer things to be vice versa.
>

> I'm not a lawyer either, but the GPL does not prevent SAAS, AGPL does.

Thanks Alessandro, that's exactly the point I wanted to make (without
mentioning an alternative).

With the GPL which is in place right now to my knowledge it's possible
to provide QAAS without sharing the code. Sorry that it was possible to
misread the sentence in the complete opposite way.

Matthias Kuhn
<mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>