[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] HDF Bug [Was: Raster formats in Qgis 3.4]

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Nov 28 10:30:18 PST 2018

On Qgis-user an issue was reported with loading HDF5 files in QGIS 3.4
no Windows 10.

I was able to confirm that HDF5 files fail in QGIS 3.4.1, on Linux also.
Not just the user's file but file I also have. In both cases the files
work fine in QGIS 2.18.

This appears to be a regression related to subdatasets (sublayers). No
dialog comes up asking the user which subdataset to load, and hence the
load fails with a Provider is not Valid message.

Only bug info I can find was an old patch that solved this 7 years ago:
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/5041

Here's a MODIS image in HDF5 for people to test with.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQEi3cRdVRlxih06nbo0gygAvJE08ft7

A secondary, minor issue, the Browser doesn't see the file if it has an
extension beyond .hdf, in this the case .h5 was what the user supplied.

Thanks,
Alex