[QGIS-Developer] Dealing with datum shift grids in QGIS

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:53:17 PDT 2018

Hi Martin,

> I understand that it is hard to ship datum shift grids with QGIS due
> to various issues (their size and amount, sometimes licensing) and
> that's fine. But we should think about how to make it easier to use
> them. There is a QGIS plugin [1] that provides a set of algs for
> Processing that call ogr2ogr with the right grid files and download
> them if they are not yet available - however there is no integration
> with QGIS CRS database, so any other transforms inside QGIS can't make
> use of that.

I will personally port the plugin to QGIS 3 as soon as I can and
continue to make it available (I could even make a PR and propose it
as a tool that comes out of the box with Processing), this because
anyway has proven a valuable tool for less advanced users that are in
the situation to create copies of their data with a new CRS and with a
datum transformation involved.

Other than this anything that makes easier handling datum
transformations in QGIS is welcome.

Cheers!

-- G --