[QGIS-Developer] MacOS packaging

Peter Petrik peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 08:26:15 PDT 2018

Hello,

we have been asked to create standalone QGIS package for MacOS. By
standalone I mean that there will be a single package (.pkg) file that will
be extracted to /Application folder and will contain all dependencies
(GDAL, Python3, PyQT, Qt libraries, ...) and will be working without any
additional installation steps (similar to any application you install via
App Store).

As there is no such open-sourced solution I could use or enhance, I started
some prototyping here: https://github.com/lutraconsulting/qgis-mac-packager
. I hope I can wrap the last bits next week and be able to produce QGIS 3.4
release and QGIS master nightlies on some Mac Cloud server. I used
osgeo4mac homebrew for dependencies, since it looks like it is the most
maintained package manager with osgeo libraries for MacOS. Usage of Conda
packages could be better, but the number of downloads and the activity in
any available repositories is not convincing.

The aim is to eventually have QGIS bundled and shipped similar to Linux and
Windows. Once we finish the work, we will send an email to the PSC and see
if this is something they'd be happy to bring it under their umbrella.

I am open to any suggestions or cooperation for either packaging or
distribution. Feel free to
write me PM or reply here. Thanks

Now its time to celebrate new QGIS release during weekend!

Cheers,
Peter

Note: CMAKE scripts try to achieve similar tasks (qgis/mac/cmake/*.in). But
it seems to me that only bundling of Qt libraries is actively maintained [
QGIS_MACAPP_BUNDLE=1]and bundling of rest of libs (gdal, libzip, geos,
etc.. ) [QGIS_MACAPP_BUNDLE=2 and 3] is not implemented/maintained. Also I
am not convinced that CMake scripting language is best tool for such task.
(due to reconfiguration on change, syntax/readability compared to python,
tools available for path handling, ...)